During this unprecedented time of social distancing due to COVID-19 we at D’Alessandro & Wright are still here to help you with your legal needs. We can be reached by telephone and email, please Contact Us & provide your details. We ask for your patience and understanding for any delays in responding to you.
D'Alessandro & Wright, LLC

When Should I Use the Uniform Crash Report?

Cars have been a feature on Rhode Island roads since the vehicles were invented. Unfortunately, that means car accidents have been a feature on state roads for just as long.

For years that meant interaction with police on the scene, then later filling out a Motor Vehicle Accident Report. Several years ago the state streamlined the process to make it easier on citizens.

Now those involved in accidents don't need to fill out a separate form. Today if the crash involves bodily injury or damage of more than $1,000, the motorist needs to only fill out the Uniform Crash Report.

What's on the report

The report is generated by law enforcement officials, usually on the scene of the accident and is automatically sent to the state Department of Transportation.

The report contains information your lawyer needs for a personal injury claim, including:

  • Identifying information and insurance information from the other driver
  • Description and identifying information about the other vehicle
  • Location of the accident and road conditions
  • Specifics about the damages to both vehicles and any bystanders
  • Officer's observations as well as the officer's name and badge number
  • Witness statements

The officer or deputy at the scene will give you an accident report number you can use to access the report online.

Your lawyer can use this information to help you through any possible personal injury claim. The report is usually available within 72 hours after it is filed.

What to do if you are in an accident

If you unfortunately find yourself in an accident there are some simple steps you need to remember:

Stop: Never leave the scene of an accident no matter how minor the damage. If you leave the scene of an accident you could face hit-and-run charges.

Call the police: Call 911 if anyone is injured and wait for the ambulance. If there is any damage, call 911 and wait for officers.

Stay with your vehicle: If your car is blocking the road and is moveable, get it to the side of the road. Put on your hazard lights.

Take pictures: If you have the ability, take as many photos of the accident scene as possible.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Email Us For a Response

Schedule a consultation with our firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

After suffering a serious collision injury, retain a skilled lawyer who is passionate about fighting for your benefit. Whether you were injured at work in a construction collision or in traffic in a car or truck collision, we are here to pursue maximum financial compensation on your behalf. As each case progresses, D'Alessandro & Wright strives to give each client the attention and support that they need. Our team of attorneys has more than 25 years of experience developing strong legal skills.

For a free initial consultation, call 401-308-3596 or complete our online contact form. We work hard to prepare strong cases that get the best attainable results for every client.

Offices in Providence and Warwick

Providence Office
1000 Smith St.
Providence, RI 02908

Phone: 401-308-3596
Phone: 401-353-0440
Fax: 401-621-8282
Providence Law Office Map

Warwick Office
70 Jefferson Blvd.
Warwick, RI 02888

Phone: 401-308-3596
Phone: 401-353-0440
Fax: 401-621-8282
Map & Directions