In an age when cybercriminals are becoming increasingly bold, it’s essential to your business’s success that you take a disciplined and proactive approach to protect your data.
Security experts say cyberattacks are getting more sophisticated, and incursions increase each year. However, there are steps you can take to protect yourself and show these intruders that you are not an easy target.
Steps to enhance your cybersecurity
When looking at your security needs, focus on the issues that matter to your customers – namely confidentiality, availability and integrity. Consider cybersecurity best practices that include:
- Being up to date: Understand how technology fits into your business so you can also comprehend the potential vulnerabilities.
- Putting someone in charge: Designate a qualified person to handle data security. If you are a sole proprietor, consider hiring an outside specialist.
- Password practices: Utilize a password management system and ensure that employees do not share passwords.
- Software updates: Automate your system, so the latest updates and patches are installed promptly.
- Firewalls: Make sure that routers and modems contain firewalls that are working properly to prevent intrusion. If not, ask your internet provider to install them.
- Encryption: Even if hackers steal passwords, encryption will prevent them from gaining access to your complete network.
- Wi-fi: Install wireless encryption on your secure network. If you provide internet access to customers, create a guest network that does not access your infrastructure.
Rethink your cybersecurity strategy
Protecting your business from hackers and other bad actors requires you to have the most up-to-date technology and training. If you are not equipped to deal with these threats, turning to a professional to provide the latest research and safeguards can be money well-spent. Consider adjusting budget priorities to ensure that you have the protections in place.